Monday 23 June 2008

"Going Down Is A Way Of Life"

Well I'm now a certified adventure diver! Woop! I spent the next 2 days after the zoo in the Pro dive training center - learning the basics for the next 3 days out on the reef. It was good fun but really tiring especially on the second day when our room mates were up till 5am partying in the dorm - I was an interesting site at 7am when I got picked up!

Monday (16th) we got picked up for the boat ride out to the reef, it was 3 hours and oh my work was I seasick! Actually turned a green colour & sent a lot of the time hanging over the side of the boat! - it was worth it though! My first dive there was a white tip reef shark lying right underneath where we descended! The dives that day were just spent practising skills - had a pretty rubbish dive that day as well though, first I had problems with my ears, then I could get to grasps with clearing my mask - which panicked me as I kept swallowing water - by the time i had got back to surface I was knackered and we still had to remove and replace our gear in the water. I managed about half of the task but was just to tried to finish it so got sent back to the boat - shameful! Going to honest, felt so angry and a little sorry for myself so hid in my cabin for a while, but I got over it!

The next morning we where up at 5.45am and straight in the water - something to add to every ones "to do" list is see the sunrise over the Great Barrier Reef - gorgeous! We had 4 dives that day on my last training dive I managed sort my mask task ( and did a little dance under water to celebrate) and then I was certified. We also did a night dive that night, it was amazing saw a huge eagle ray and a MASSIVE dent in the sand where something had obviously just been sitting - we think it might have been the huge turtle called Brian who lives around that reef.

The final day on the reef I did a deep dive and a naturalist dive (looking at ecosystems etc) which certified me as an adventure diver to 30metres! Then we headed back to Cairns, got a little burnt sunbathing on the top deck, but wasn't sick so that was a bonus!

We finished the trip off with a big night out which was awesome - met some really cool people and I'm definitely going to try and keep diving down the east coast if I get time! Going to finish my advanced certification and get my dry suit orientation when I get back to Scotland. Next year who knows maybe I'll be back out training to be an instructor!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya Baby - just hacked into sorcha's computer to get an update and saw all your pictures on photobucket and played (totally by accident)the good times so far and have ben a weepy puddle on the floor for the past 10 minutes! Missing you lots and lots and lots.
News - well its the big weekend coming up -Connie and Leslie's 60th wedding anniversary -which is costing us a boody fortune in cakes and balloons and photographers and all, and am sure none of it will be up to scratch! Loved photo of Mike on Skype! v funny!
Am getting my internet problems fixed today for exorbitant fee by some obnoxious grumpy geek type so all should be well by three!
Work still crazy -Linda totally up for tea and wine when you get home to discuss work though - and our 2010 festival really looks def now so you should be able to get stuff out of that - likely it'll be my team thats leading. Les fine -grumpy though - someone left freezer open last night and the food fu*cked! This time - as Eve was here for tea I suspect that an overwhelming urge for a milk lolly might have caused that little accident! Went to see fliss at the weekend - yummilly eatable baba. How many more adventures are you planning before you fancy popping one out yourself - I am def up for granny status!
Stillnot seen yur underwater pictures - can't wait though, all sounded incredibly exciting.Am noting requirement to call your mama regularly diminishing now! I'm glad but wouldn't mind a wee hear of your voice sometime soon.Everyone send big loves - as always. Mind it's Emma's party on our Saturday comoing and party starts at 2 - isthatabout 9 in Ozz? How abut a contact about 3 (10 ish) as Gran and Grandpa will be there by then????
Love you loads
Mumxxxx

Anonymous said...

G'Day Robs,

Good to hear everythings under control (or maybe out of it)?
Diving's fantastic especially in tropical waters. Pity its not a bit warmer in Sydney or I'd take you to some of my old dive spots and a very interesting wreck just up the coast.
Sounds like you're having a ball.
Before you get to Sydney give me a call and I'll pick you up at the airport and either take you to Granny's or you can stay with me or with Ellie and Sammy or uncle tom cobbly and all.

My Mobile No: 0414 340 818
My email: jackj@ozemail.com.au

Drop me a line and give me a little notice of your arrival date etc. as I'd hate to be tied up with work and unable to spend time with you.

Looking forward to seeing you again and Take care of yourselves.

Hunchle Jack

Anonymous said...

Top wonderful loving every word! Keep em coming (and hey the photos seem to work at this end at least). Carry on with the good times and keep us posted in drab Manchester.....
Love Rhona & all xxxx